Jersey Fresh Crushed Tomatoes – I usually use nearly two cans (28 oz each) for one casserole. I include the spices in the cheese mixture and leave the sauce alone so its pure tomato taste can come through.
- Bring 4 to 5 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add one tblspn of olive oil and sprinkle some salt.
- Add 1 lb of lasagna to the boiling water – two to three pieces at a time in a crisscross manner.
- Cook uncovered for 8 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse with cool water.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover the bottom of a large casserole dish with Jersey Fresh crushed tomatoes – approximately 10 inches long, at least 4 inches deep, and wide enough for three pieces of lasagna – about 8 inches.
- Put down one layer – three piecs of lasagna. Cover with 1/3 of the cheese mixture (below).
- Generously cover cheese mixture with sauce, adding a little water as needed.
- Put second layer across the opposite direction, cutting it to fit. Add 1/3 of the cheese mixture.
- Put third layer of lasagna – three pieces, add remaing cheese on top, cover with sauce.
- Last layer, alternate direction again, cover generously with sauce. Sprinkle basil and oregano on top, add some grated cheese and slices of fresh green peppers, mushrooms or whatever you prefer.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes. Let lasagna stand 10 minutes before cutting.
- Makes ten servings.
(Lasagana can also be refrigerated after baking and reheated at 350 degrees for 50 minutes covered, and 10 minutes uncovered. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Sometimes the sauce can be soaked up so have extra crushed tomatoes on hand.)
Stir in 4 cups (2 lbs) skim milk ricotta
- 2 cups of fresh mozarella – cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 2 tblspns dried or fresh oregano
- 2 tblspns dried or fresh basil
- 2 tblspsn dried or fresh parsley
- 1/4 tspn black pepper
- 1 tspn chopped garlic in olive oil
- diced shallots
Serve with fresh salad, crusty bread and a deep rich red wine.